Saturday, November 8, 2014

Learning about Communication through Television

This week's blog assignment was very interesting to me.  I think that it really forced me to think outside my normal thought process.  We were required to view a TV show that we don't normally watch, and view it without the volume turned on.  I chose a show called The League.

   This show is about a group of friends that participate in a fantasy football league. When I was watching the show I saw that the relationships were light-hearted and friendly.  You could tell by watching that the characters had a sort of back-and-forth camaraderie in a joking manner.  The nonverbal behavior was aggressive at times.  There was eye rolling and hostility at times between the men especially.

  What I learned about communication was that is very dependent on your environment.  It is something that I haven't really thought about too often but is something I will pay more attention to. Recognizing how your communication changes with your surroundings and environment is an important part of being an educator.  Realizing how your tone needs to be with children and how it should not change dramatically when transitioning from professional to personal lives.  I think it is important to maintain balance and ensure that we are holding ourselves to a standard whether we are in the classroom environment or outside of it.

2 comments:

  1. Caroline,

    Your comment about paying closer attention to how communication changes with your surroundings reminded me of a very quick conversation I had with my brother a few days ago. In just a few short minutes we had each changed our location in the room several times, and the conversation changed tone several times as well. As I think back I can distinctly remember noticing how many times we both altered our body language, proximity to one another, and posture. We distinctly altered our skills and styles based on content and emotional investment. I will be sure to be more cognizant of these behaviors when speaking to children and families and will also begin to notice how my positioning and body language can sway the outcome of conversations. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Than you Caroline for sharing your observation. You made a great point about watching your tone in your voice. This is really important in day to day life also tone of voice can alter and change others emotions and thoughts which can either be positive or negative. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete