Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Effectively Resolving Conflict

There have been many situations throughout my life where I have struggled to effectively communicate my thoughts and feelings to others and, oftentimes, these struggles have led to conflict. It is difficult to step away from conflict while it is occurring if you are emotionally invested in the conversation.  I have been learning, through experience and throughout this course, that learning to listen and be nonreactive is essential to being an effective communicator.

My experience recently with conflict has been in my personal life.  I have learned to reflect on the conversation or conflict prior to reacting.  For instance, if an argument ensues I have learned to not voice my opinion automatically but to think about the purpose of the conversation and the emotions I am trying to convey.  I then return to the conversation and am better able to effectively communicate my point of view.

Another strategy is to propose a compromise of sorts.  To try and calm the situation down and realize that there is a solution as long as we can communicate with one another.  There is a compromise to be made and in any relationship it is important to compromise because resentment can build and tensions can grow that make communication in the future more difficult.

Please feel free to share any of your experiences and how to best resolve conflict when you comment on my blog post.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Caroline, I thoroughly enjoyed your honesty. We all, at one point, did not know how to handle when others threatened our womanhood. Especially if we feel disrespected but at least that is for me. I had to learn to stay calm and breathe because it may not be that they are really upset with and had to learn to look deeper than what is actually being said at time. It is hard but the more we grow, the more we understand how to handle individuals who just want to fuss all the time. It even can make them angry because you not engaging in an argument with them. You can try the escapist strategy (p. 236 in our text) or try the cooperative strategy (p. 237 in our text). Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline,
    You discussed compromise in your post. I agree. I have finally learned how to listen to myself when compromising. In years past I have comprised to please everyone around me because I do not like conflict and just wanted peace. This can be just as harmful when you are not listening to your own thoughts. I have learned to stand up for my self and this is a continual struggle everyday. I am surrounded by very strong willed individuals and I have to remember to not just give in for the sake of peace. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline,

    I appreciate the fact that you discussed compromise in your post. You were completely spot on with that. It is sometimes so easy to compromise yourself out of everything and you end up not getting anything. These compromises can end up in a lose-lose situation or even win-lose instead of win-win. It is important to compromise but at the same time it is also important to stand up for what your needs are. I think that it is important to state what your needs are when trying to compromise and yet the same time be able to communicate in such a way that the other person feels like they are heard. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline, I too have learned over time to be non reactive to certain situations in my personal life. In the past I was always told that I said things in a hurtful way to my loved ones and that has stuck with me as I mature. I now can say that I think about how my tone of voice is and how my words are being conveyed, at times I tend to slip but that all is in the process of growing and maturing.

    ReplyDelete